Skip to main content

Are Women Minorities?

At lunch today, my husband announced that two of his colleagues - one male, one female - were debating the question, Are women minorities? The man said yes, women are minorities while the woman said no, they are not.  "Of course women are minorities," my husband said with a "duh" tone in his voice. "No, no they are not," I replied. And thus the debate turned personal.

The problem was, I couldn't fully explain why I felt that way - so I asked for time to collect my thoughts. Having thought about and researched this for the better part of the day, I can say with confidence that no, women are not minorities. My reasons are not based on  pure emotion, but are sound and based on plain reason and logic.

My need to (yet again) prove my husband wrong led me to consult dictionary.com,  in order to clearly define the term "minority." The dictionary provided five unbiased and commonly agreed upon definitions of the noun minority:

  1. the smaller part or number; a number, part, or amount forming less than half of the whole.
  2. a smaller party or group opposed to a majority, as in voting or other action.
  3. a group differing, esp. in race, religion, or ethnic background, from the majority of a population: legislation aimed at providing equal rights for minorities.
  4. a member of such a group.
  5. the state or period of being under the legal age of full responsibility.
To properly investigate definition number one, I consulted the United Nations Statistics Division. Based on simple math, the average ratio of women to men worldwide is about 1:1.  In fact, in the US, the female to male ratio is 103:100. Based on a strict dictionary definition, it would seem that men are the numeric minority in the United States. But in the big scheme of things, 103:100 is not statistically significant, so let's eliminate the first definition and move on...

The second definition, a smaller party or group opposed to a majority, as in voting or other action, still does not apply based on numbers, but also in the sense that, contrary to popular male thought, most women are not opposed to men. Only men who are jerks.
The third definition gets more to the heart of the debate - a group differing, especially in race, religion, or ethnic background from the majority of the population. Sex is clearly not mentioned in this definition. Was this an oversight on Webster's part? I highly doubt it. And once again, the relatively equal ratio of women to men nullifies the concept of "differing from the majority of the population."

If definitions 1-3 do not apply, then 4 cannot apply, either.

Finally, the fifth definition applies to some females...but it also applies to some males. And since the average female to male ratio also applies to minors, then this definition is also not applicable.

Let's face it. The question is not really about minority vs. majority, but about balance of power (or imbalance as the case may be).  White men have held the power over women and minorities for hundreds of years. Consider imperialism - the white men were always outnumbered by the natives (making them the minority), but because the white men had more advanced weaponry, they held the power. When white men created the US Constitution, they created equality for themselves, but left out women and minorities. Again, not because they outnumbered the women, but because they overpowered them.


That, in 2010, we must even debate whether or not women are minorities is the outrage. When the world can stop its divisive categorizing everyone into majority and minority, male and female, black and white, straight and gay,  us and them - and instead live as one in humanity, then, perhaps, we can solve the problems of the world and attain those elusive things the world so desperately needs: Understanding. Love. Peace.

Dedicated to my political soul-mate and BFF Truly. I got your back, sistah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Les Femmes Tondues

"Germany Wins on All Fronts" - the Eiffel Tower (Getty Images) It is no great secret that some French collaborated during the Nazi Occupation of France. Some did it for less than admirable reasons, such as political gain, anti-Semitism, or true fascist ideology. Other people were frightened and saw no end to the Occupation, while some were motivated simply by the desire to survive.  Many women who collaborated fall into the latter category. French women and German soldiers enjoying lunch at a café (Unidentified Photo Source) Food, clothes, and fuel (among other items) were scarce during the Occupation. Nearly everything needed to sustain life was rationed, and much of France's food and other  necessary  commodities were shipped to Germany. One way to ensure warmth and a full belly was by making nice with a German soldier.  A French woman chats with a German soldier in front of the Eiffel Tower during the Occupation In a desperate attempt to survive,

A Little Zazou ~ Pour Vous

Sorry Disney fans, but I am not talking about Simba's little feathered hornbill friend in the Lion King (that's spelled Zazu anyway). No, I am talking about the Zazou Jazz Era that began in Interwar Paris and  les zazous  who, in their own way, defied Vichy and the Nazis when they occupied France during the Second World War.  Thanks to my ADD that always manages to kick in when I am supposed to be doing serious research, I stumbled upon the concept of zazou when I was - you guessed it - researching for my Master's thesis on the French Resistance last year.  While I was disappointed that I could not use this newfound knowledge in my thesis, all was not lost. This detour introduced me not only to the fascinating history of les zazous , but some really remarkable Manouche Jazz (a.k.a. Gypsy Swing Jazz) that I knew would some day make a great blog. Lucky you, mes chers , that day is today! What the Heck IS Zazou? Zazou describes a style of jazz as well as a

Joyeux Noël

"An Historic Group: British and German Soldiers Photographed Together"  The Daily Mirror Every year I show my students the award-winning film, Joyeux Noël . I would estimate that over the years, I've seen the movie about three dozen times. Despite the ridiculous number of times I have watched it, I never grow tired of it (not to mention the fact that I get choked up every time!) Joyeux Noël  (see the trailer below) is a film about the impromptu/unofficial Christmas Truce of 1914 when soldiers along the Western Front laid down their rifles on Christmas Eve in a gesture of peace and good will. According to The New York Times, it is estimated that about 100,000 men, predominately German and British, (but also some French) were part of this Christmas miracle.   It truly is miraculous when you consider that mere hours before this temporary truce occurred, these men were literally murdering one another. Then, almost as if a magical spell had been cast, the spirit of