Skip to main content

Understanding the Holocaust



Memorial at Dachau Photo Credit Jennifer Boyer-Switala (2009)
Recently, someone inquired about my seemingly morose obsession with the Holocaust. “It’s in the past!” they said, “Why drudge up such horrors?! Why upset yourself so much?!” All I could do was iterate the plea of all who lived and died in one of history’s most tragic events, “Never again…”

I am somewhat philosophical (and, yes, obsessive) and this inquiry had planted a seed. I began to question myself. Why AM I so interested in something that ALWAYS makes me cry and NEVER has a happy ending? As a historian and former psychotherapist, I figured it best to go back to the beginning…
Dachau Gate   Photo Credit: The Switalas (2009)
My fascination with the Holocaust began when I was ten years old. A neighbor loaned me Corrie Ten Boom’s autobiography, The Hiding Place. I was riveted and wanted to read more. Books like The Diary of Anne Frank and The Upstairs Room followed and my budding obsession grew.

As a Freshman in college, I eagerly signed up for the course “The History of Nazism and Fascism.” Here, I was for the first time, introduced to Elie Wiesel’s Night. Since then I have read dozens of books on the Holocaust, but none so powerful as Night. It would be nearly 15 years before I read it again, but certain images or stories stuck in my mind. Most vivid was the story of the sad-eyed angel boy who was hung, but was too light to immediately die and dangled on the gallows for nearly two hours before he finally did.
Crematorium Ovens Dachau Photo Credit: The Switalas (2009)

Oven Dachau The Switalas '09

Why? Why did that story stand out above all the others? It is because the victim was a small child. An innocent. To kill an adult is an abomination. To kill a child is inhuman. To kill millions of adults and children is incomprehensible. And there it is…the reason I am obsessed.

I have spent the better part of my life trying to understand the incomprehensible…trying to even remotely make some tiny connection to any small piece of sense in it all. I pride myself on the fact that I do a pretty darn good job of empathizing with people – even those with whom I don’t agree – in order to understand their perspective. However, when it comes to the perpetrators of the Holocaust, I can’t. I absolutely cannot wrap my brain around killing a single person, let alone millions, because they were Jewish…or Roma…or Communist…or homosexual…or handicap…etc.

Adding to my bewilderment is my more recent discovery of how widespread the Holocaust was. Everything I had read in the past focused on nations east of Germany. Imagine my surprise to find out that the Holocaust happened in Italy, Denmark, Belgium, and even my beloved France! I had always given Western Europe and the United States a free pass for “not knowing” what was going on. My naïve worldview has been rocked and I hold all nations responsible for their slow response to help. Denmark may be the exception…but that is a story for another blog.
Never Again Dachau  Photo Credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala (2009)
While I may never understand the Holocaust, I will continue to learn about it and teach about it so it doesn’t happen again. Yes, I may never understand the Holocaust because I embrace all of humanity and value life. In order to even begin to understand, I would have to permit myself to feel honest to goodness hatred and loathing…to allow my heart and soul to become void of all love and compassion. To do this – to allow myself to empathize with the perpetrators for even a brief moment for the sake of understanding - would be to surrender my humanity. And so, I will never comprehend the incomprehensible of the Holocaust. And you know what? I’m okay with that.


Recommended Holocaust Books (please post your recommendations!)

Night by Elie Wiesel (non-fiction – Romania/Auschwitz, Poland)
The Journal of Hélène Berr (non-fiction - France)
The Diary of Anne Frank (non-fiction – Netherlands/Bergen Belsen)
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (non-fiction – Netherlands)
The Nazi Officer’s Wife by Edith Beer (non-fiction – Austria/Germany)
Auschwitz: True Tales from a Grotesque Land by Sara Nomberg-Przytyk (non-fiction – Auschwitz)
Sarah’s Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (fiction - France)
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (fiction – Denmark – children’s book but VERY well done)
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (fiction - Germany/Auschwitz)

Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for this. It really, deeply affected me. The questions you posed, the desire to understand the perpetrators, the confusion you felt- these have plagued me for some time. Ever since I was a little girl, I have tried to understand and empathize with others. In vain, I have struggled to do so with the creators of the holocaust- the people who sat at the Wannsee conference discussing answers to the "Jewish Question", who performed sadistic experiments on men, women and children, who walked down the rows of people and shot whomever they chose- and I have found no answer. I simply could not fathom the idea of killing so callously, with relish even, and it bewildered me.
In my naive worldview, it never crossed my mind that it might be impossible, that there was no rational explanation. That the men and women who did this were so filled with hatred that they were past feeling- it never occurred to me. I had never thought that someone could be consumed with such awful hatred- and that there might be some people, like Hitler, whom I would never understand.
In a way, it quelled my confusion. I can accept that I will never understand, and it allows me to learn without so many conflicted feelings. So thank you so, so much for linking me to this. (Sorry for the long comment.)
-Allie

Popular posts from this blog

Les Femmes Tondues

"Germany Wins on All Fronts" - the Eiffel Tower (Getty Images) It is no great secret that some French collaborated during the Nazi Occupation of France. Some did it for less than admirable reasons, such as political gain, anti-Semitism, or true fascist ideology. Other people were frightened and saw no end to the Occupation, while some were motivated simply by the desire to survive.  Many women who collaborated fall into the latter category. French women and German soldiers enjoying lunch at a café (Unidentified Photo Source) Food, clothes, and fuel (among other items) were scarce during the Occupation. Nearly everything needed to sustain life was rationed, and much of France's food and other  necessary  commodities were shipped to Germany. One way to ensure warmth and a full belly was by making nice with a German soldier.  A French woman chats with a German soldier in front of the Eiffel Tower during the Occupation In a desperate attempt to survive,

A Little Zazou ~ Pour Vous

Sorry Disney fans, but I am not talking about Simba's little feathered hornbill friend in the Lion King (that's spelled Zazu anyway). No, I am talking about the Zazou Jazz Era that began in Interwar Paris and  les zazous  who, in their own way, defied Vichy and the Nazis when they occupied France during the Second World War.  Thanks to my ADD that always manages to kick in when I am supposed to be doing serious research, I stumbled upon the concept of zazou when I was - you guessed it - researching for my Master's thesis on the French Resistance last year.  While I was disappointed that I could not use this newfound knowledge in my thesis, all was not lost. This detour introduced me not only to the fascinating history of les zazous , but some really remarkable Manouche Jazz (a.k.a. Gypsy Swing Jazz) that I knew would some day make a great blog. Lucky you, mes chers , that day is today! What the Heck IS Zazou? Zazou describes a style of jazz as well as a

La Rafle du Vel d’Hiv (The Vel d’Hiv Round Up)

Photo Source: 1 st Art Gallery Every Holocaust survivor – every ghost of those who did not survive - has a story to tell. Each story is unique, yet equally tragic. Some we have heard more than once, while others lay silent, buried in the dusty pages of a nation’s shame… Occupation and Anti-Semitism 14 June 1942 marked the two-year anniversary of the Nazi occupation of Paris. By this point, many French had joined the Résistance , while others felt it in their best interest to collaborate with the Nazi regime. Many Jews had fled France, and those who remained behind lived in chronic fear. The Jewish Decrees (France's version of the Nuremberg Laws) saw the Jews of Paris stripped of their livelihoods, property, and rights. As in other occupied areas of Europe, the French Jews were required to wear the yellow stars of David. Inscribed with a single word in the center, Juif (Jew), the badges had to be sewn neatly on the left side of the chest. Failure to do so coul