Skip to main content

(Not So) Lost in Translation...And Giggles

While my husband teases me that I have brainwashed my children to be proper liberals, what he has yet to recognize is that it is a ruse for my real brainwashing activity: that they WANT to move to Paris. Immédiatement. Maintenant. Aujourd'hui

It is no great secret that it is my deepest heart's desire to live in Paris. I spend hours online, browsing apartments for sale, finding the perfect one, then subsequently daydreaming about my life in said apartment.  That, by the way, I can't afford. I have even been known to use real estate as the proverbial dangling carrot to convince the rest of my family that they, too, want Paris as badly as I do. After all, who wouldn't want to give up their bedroom for their very own spot on a sleeper sofa in Paris?

My eldest is on board; in fact, she thinks we should leave yesterday. And while I'd like to take credit for this, I believe it has more to do with  a seventeen-year-old's wanderlust and the deep-seated desire to get as far away from our "hick town" as possible than it does with my insanely awesome persuasive skills.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is my son. At eleven, his best buddy lives next door and so he is not so keen on Paris sans BFF. So, the swing vote lies with my youngest daughter. She is a mama's girl through and through, yet is still on the fence when it comes to a Parisian residence.  So, I have begun to work my brainwashing magic. 

One of her big concerns is that she doesn't speak French (she obviously gets her pragmatic nature from moi). Therefore, I have decided to help her with my rocking French language skills (cough-cough). We had lesson number one at bedtime the other evening. She nailed the "oui," "non," "bonjour," "bonsoir," and "bonne nuit," and easily picked up the "Ça va?/Ça va." Then, since it was bedtime, I said, "Est-ce que vous êtes fatigué?" That is when the giggling ensued. 

"Mom! Did you ask me if I am a fatty gay?" 
"Non, ma petite." I mimed yawning and slowly repeated, "fatigué." 
More giggles. "Non Maman. I am not a fatty gay!" Now I was beginning to giggle. So I decided to make things more interesting and grabbed her doll. And, if you speak French, then you know where this is headed - straight to la toilette.

"Est-ce que votre poupée est fatigué?" 
She squealed with laughter, "What?!" 
I pointed to her doll and said, "La poupée." Hilarity erupted from every part of her nine-year-old body. "Non.  My poopy isn't a fatty gay!" 

At this point my husband entered the room inquiring as to why tuck in was so rambunctious. "Mommy is teaching me French! Listen to what I learned..." I braced myself and thought about the expression lost in translation. She took a breath and spoke - almost saying it all without laughing...

"My poopy is fatty gay!" He shot me a "really?!" look, then turned to her and said, "Oh! Your doll is tired!" She was half amused and half stunned. "Oui!" 

Something great happened for her in that moment. Even in her silliness, she recognized that he understood what she was saying. She had communicated - et en français! Without meaning to, he clinched it for her. That evening, she realized that learning French could be fun, funny, and effective. She said that she wants me to teach her more...and since I am still learning myself, it is a great way to practice. She also is thinking that living in Paris sounds like it might be fun. Score one pour moi!

But that wasn't the best part. The best part came when I taught her the most important phrase of all in any language. I kissed her bonne nuit and said, "Je t'aime....it means 'I love you.'" She smiled, nuzzled in with her fatigué poupée and said the thing that made my heart happier than an apartment in Paris, "Je t'aime, Maman."
Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

Oh, I so love this! Keep up the brainwashing! I am currently working on my husband. Three and a half years from now our baby will graduate from college and I want to go live in France again. He has conceded that he will just be the "lovable" American who speaks no French but plays a mean game of pétanque. My French friend Fanny feeds into this fantasy of his, too. I think she will have him wearing a béret before too much longer! We all must have our fantasies. My love affair with Paris and France has kept me going!

Popular posts from this blog

Les Femmes Tondues

"Germany Wins on All Fronts" - the Eiffel Tower (Getty Images) It is no great secret that some French collaborated during the Nazi Occupation of France. Some did it for less than admirable reasons, such as political gain, anti-Semitism, or true fascist ideology. Other people were frightened and saw no end to the Occupation, while some were motivated simply by the desire to survive.  Many women who collaborated fall into the latter category. French women and German soldiers enjoying lunch at a café (Unidentified Photo Source) Food, clothes, and fuel (among other items) were scarce during the Occupation. Nearly everything needed to sustain life was rationed, and much of France's food and other  necessary  commodities were shipped to Germany. One way to ensure warmth and a full belly was by making nice with a German soldier.  A French woman chats with a German soldier in front of the Eiffel Tower during the Occupation In a desperate attempt to survive,

A Little Zazou ~ Pour Vous

Sorry Disney fans, but I am not talking about Simba's little feathered hornbill friend in the Lion King (that's spelled Zazu anyway). No, I am talking about the Zazou Jazz Era that began in Interwar Paris and  les zazous  who, in their own way, defied Vichy and the Nazis when they occupied France during the Second World War.  Thanks to my ADD that always manages to kick in when I am supposed to be doing serious research, I stumbled upon the concept of zazou when I was - you guessed it - researching for my Master's thesis on the French Resistance last year.  While I was disappointed that I could not use this newfound knowledge in my thesis, all was not lost. This detour introduced me not only to the fascinating history of les zazous , but some really remarkable Manouche Jazz (a.k.a. Gypsy Swing Jazz) that I knew would some day make a great blog. Lucky you, mes chers , that day is today! What the Heck IS Zazou? Zazou describes a style of jazz as well as a

La Rafle du Vel d’Hiv (The Vel d’Hiv Round Up)

Photo Source: 1 st Art Gallery Every Holocaust survivor – every ghost of those who did not survive - has a story to tell. Each story is unique, yet equally tragic. Some we have heard more than once, while others lay silent, buried in the dusty pages of a nation’s shame… Occupation and Anti-Semitism 14 June 1942 marked the two-year anniversary of the Nazi occupation of Paris. By this point, many French had joined the Résistance , while others felt it in their best interest to collaborate with the Nazi regime. Many Jews had fled France, and those who remained behind lived in chronic fear. The Jewish Decrees (France's version of the Nuremberg Laws) saw the Jews of Paris stripped of their livelihoods, property, and rights. As in other occupied areas of Europe, the French Jews were required to wear the yellow stars of David. Inscribed with a single word in the center, Juif (Jew), the badges had to be sewn neatly on the left side of the chest. Failure to do so coul