Skip to main content

Baby Steps

I have been silent on my blog for nearly 9 months. I have attempted numerous entries, but after staring empty headed at a blank screen for seemingly forever, I would walk away in frustration. Something was - IS - missing. In fact, that seems to be the story of my life as of the past 14.5 months. My Dad's death, of which I have written about twice, has really hit me hard. When I got the call that he had died, I doubled over and physically felt a solid punch to my gut. In that moment, everything changed. My entire being was altered. It was as though that forceful punch simultaneously knocked out of me my breath, my joy, and my voice. 
In the midst of this existential crisis, I have taken to journaling the old fashioned way - with pen and paper - trying to find my missing breath, joy, and voice. But the content is deeply personal and private, so my blog remained dormant. As I was contemplating on how to find some happy medium that would get me back on the blogosphere, I thought about that silly Bill Murray/Richard Dreyfus movie, What About Bob? The psychiatrist (Dreyfus) writes a book about his philosophy of treating patients by moving forward in "baby steps." So I thought perhaps that is what I need to do...come back a little at a time.
Since finding my words has been such a struggle, I thought I might begin with just some photographs that I took this summer on my trip to Amsterdam, Bruges, and Paris. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Here is a teaser...more to come this weekend!
Belgian Waffles with Chocolate Sauce & Fresh Whipped Cream - YUM!
Joy temporarily found...



Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy to see you posting again but I know how hard it is to get back into the swing of things when you've been away for so long and your heart is not fully in it. But your readers will always be there waiting, so do things on your time when you want.

Belgian waffles are the best although the Liege style is my favorite :)

Popular posts from this blog

Les Femmes Tondues

"Germany Wins on All Fronts" - the Eiffel Tower (Getty Images) It is no great secret that some French collaborated during the Nazi Occupation of France. Some did it for less than admirable reasons, such as political gain, anti-Semitism, or true fascist ideology. Other people were frightened and saw no end to the Occupation, while some were motivated simply by the desire to survive.  Many women who collaborated fall into the latter category. French women and German soldiers enjoying lunch at a café (Unidentified Photo Source) Food, clothes, and fuel (among other items) were scarce during the Occupation. Nearly everything needed to sustain life was rationed, and much of France's food and other  necessary  commodities were shipped to Germany. One way to ensure warmth and a full belly was by making nice with a German soldier.  A French woman chats with a German soldier in front of the Eiffel Tower during the Occupation In a desperate attempt to survive,

A Little Zazou ~ Pour Vous

Sorry Disney fans, but I am not talking about Simba's little feathered hornbill friend in the Lion King (that's spelled Zazu anyway). No, I am talking about the Zazou Jazz Era that began in Interwar Paris and  les zazous  who, in their own way, defied Vichy and the Nazis when they occupied France during the Second World War.  Thanks to my ADD that always manages to kick in when I am supposed to be doing serious research, I stumbled upon the concept of zazou when I was - you guessed it - researching for my Master's thesis on the French Resistance last year.  While I was disappointed that I could not use this newfound knowledge in my thesis, all was not lost. This detour introduced me not only to the fascinating history of les zazous , but some really remarkable Manouche Jazz (a.k.a. Gypsy Swing Jazz) that I knew would some day make a great blog. Lucky you, mes chers , that day is today! What the Heck IS Zazou? Zazou describes a style of jazz as well as a

Sylvia Beach - An American In Paris

This past fall I read Americans in Paris: Life and Death Under Nazi Occupation by Charles Glass. Meticulously researched, the book described the collaboration, resistance, and survival stories of several Americans during the Occupation. Of all the fascinating Americans Glass discussed, I felt an instant connection to one, and have been mildly obsessed with her ever since… Sylvia Beach Photo Source: donswaim.com/ripley-lawrence.htm The Woman Nancy Woodridge Beach was born on March 14, 1887 in Baltimore, Maryland.  She spent much of her childhood and young adult life living throughout Europe. Her first encounter with Paris came at a young age when her father, a pastor, was appointed assistant minister of the American Church in Paris, as well as director of the American student center. As a young adult she spent time in Spain and even served a stint in Serbia in the Red Cross. Although her birth name was Nancy, she would become known to the world as Sylvia Beach.  It was