Skip to main content

Thursday, 21 November: Montpellier

Today is my last full day in Montpellier...I leave early tomorrow morning to head back to Paris, then Saturday morning...home!! It has been a wonderful trip, but I am very ready to be home. I miss my family, my Lila, and my bed. It is as exhausting as it is amazing to be in a strange place (especially when you're as directionally challenged as I am!) where you don't speak the language well. I definitely crave the familiarity of home. 

It has rained off and on since last night, and this morning as I was sipping my coffee, I looked out my window. It had just stopped raining and this was my stunning view:







In between bouts of rain, I managed to get out and walk around one last time. I went to a part of Montpellier I had not yet been to and ended up walking by the park where they were setting up for the Christmas Market. I am going to miss them by a week, and am so bummed about that. I have stumbled across the set up of markets in Paris and Lyon, as well...I am sure they are all beautiful sites to behold. My hope is someday Bill and I will do a European Christmas Market tour. Doesn't that sound parfait?!



I stumbled upon the Tour de la Babote, which is a 12th-Century tower that was part of what used to be the fortification wall around Montpellier.


I also realized I had not really taken any shots of the Place de la Comédie. It is the largest square in Montpellier and one of the largest in France. There is always something going on here. There are many street performers every day. Some, like the trio below, are fantastic (lots of Django and Swing Jazz!!) Others, not so much. Tuesday and Wednesday nights there was live karaoke going on until midnight (and beyond). My Airbnb overlooked the Place, so I heard every. single.  ear-splitting. note. Oof.


I will leave you with one last look at the view from my two windows...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Les Femmes Tondues

"Germany Wins on All Fronts" - the Eiffel Tower (Getty Images) It is no great secret that some French collaborated during the Nazi Occupation of France. Some did it for less than admirable reasons, such as political gain, anti-Semitism, or true fascist ideology. Other people were frightened and saw no end to the Occupation, while some were motivated simply by the desire to survive.  Many women who collaborated fall into the latter category. French women and German soldiers enjoying lunch at a café (Unidentified Photo Source) Food, clothes, and fuel (among other items) were scarce during the Occupation. Nearly everything needed to sustain life was rationed, and much of France's food and other  necessary  commodities were shipped to Germany. One way to ensure warmth and a full belly was by making nice with a German soldier.  A French woman chats with a German soldier in front of the Eiffel Tower during the Occupation In a desperate attempt to survive,

A Little Zazou ~ Pour Vous

Sorry Disney fans, but I am not talking about Simba's little feathered hornbill friend in the Lion King (that's spelled Zazu anyway). No, I am talking about the Zazou Jazz Era that began in Interwar Paris and  les zazous  who, in their own way, defied Vichy and the Nazis when they occupied France during the Second World War.  Thanks to my ADD that always manages to kick in when I am supposed to be doing serious research, I stumbled upon the concept of zazou when I was - you guessed it - researching for my Master's thesis on the French Resistance last year.  While I was disappointed that I could not use this newfound knowledge in my thesis, all was not lost. This detour introduced me not only to the fascinating history of les zazous , but some really remarkable Manouche Jazz (a.k.a. Gypsy Swing Jazz) that I knew would some day make a great blog. Lucky you, mes chers , that day is today! What the Heck IS Zazou? Zazou describes a style of jazz as well as a

Joyeux Noël

"An Historic Group: British and German Soldiers Photographed Together"  The Daily Mirror Every year I show my students the award-winning film, Joyeux Noël . I would estimate that over the years, I've seen the movie about three dozen times. Despite the ridiculous number of times I have watched it, I never grow tired of it (not to mention the fact that I get choked up every time!) Joyeux Noël  (see the trailer below) is a film about the impromptu/unofficial Christmas Truce of 1914 when soldiers along the Western Front laid down their rifles on Christmas Eve in a gesture of peace and good will. According to The New York Times, it is estimated that about 100,000 men, predominately German and British, (but also some French) were part of this Christmas miracle.   It truly is miraculous when you consider that mere hours before this temporary truce occurred, these men were literally murdering one another. Then, almost as if a magical spell had been cast, the spirit of