Skip to main content

Au Revoir Paris

It is with a sad heart that I left my beautiful winter wonderland Paris...
Just a little snow...
but, not before a spectacular nighttime dinner cruise along the Seine! We dined with the other teachers and people from Passports and had a wonderful time. One of the couriers, Kate, who had taken a real shine to Madison and her panda hat asked if she could wear it - which Madison (who had likewise taken a shine to Kate) happily obliged.
Kate Looking Smashing in Maddie's Panda Hat
As the snow blustered about, we sailed up and down the Seine and enjoyed fabulous people....
Bill & Will - Dinner Cruise
Madison, Moi, and Gabby- Dinner Cruise
 good food...
Our Appetizer 
Main Course - Cod Choice
Main Course - Veal choice
Dessert - Oui, s'il vous plaît!
 and gorgeous sights....
The Eiffel Tower - Glittering and Glowing at Night (photo credit: Bill Switala)
Two World Icons (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
Lady Liberty (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
We returned to the hotel and as exhausted as I was, I found it difficult to fall asleep because there was a big part of me (okay, pretty much all of me) that did not want to return to the US. I stared out the window into the dark, snowy Parisian sky and felt a sadness that is difficult to put in words. And I really don't think that the average person would understand, so I have never  even bothered trying to find the words. Maybe in my next blog...
Upon arriving at our gate at Charles de Gaulle, Paris granted me one last treat. I found a Ladurée standing before me. It was on my list of things to try while in Paris, but we never got to it. Well,  it seems that fate was telling me that now was my time!
Shelves at Ladurée (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
For those unfamiliar with Ladurée, it is the quintessential shop for candies and especially French macarons. It is decorated in such a style that is its own - feminine and French and shabby chic, and just plain awesome.
Ladurée Chandelier
I apologize for the glare on the photo below, but I had to include it so those who do not know what a French macaron is can see them up close. Most of my American friends would instantly think coconut macaroons (spelled with 2 o's). Not so with this brand of yumminess.
A half-dozen macarons at Ladurée - only about 20 USD! 
I just had to try one, so I chose a violet macaron. I love violet because it has a hint of raspberry flavor to it. Plus, it's just pretty to look at! Now, I have made macarons from scratch, and they are pretty darn good if I do say so myself. But this one...well, I believe the look on my face says it all!
I think...
I am...
in serious...
L-O-V-E!!
As I boarded the plane I fully expected the waterworks to begin as they normally do; however, I didn't cry. I figure it was either knowledge that I am returning in just six months or the obscene amount of legally prescribed Xanax numbing my psyche that prevented the tears from flowing. Perhaps it was a little of both? Either way, I felt blessed for the opportunity to learn so much and especially to share this phenomenal experience with my children. And with that thought, I bid Paris a fond (and temporary!) au revoir...
Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

Anonymous said…
I loved reading all of your "live" posts. Tres jealux (sp) about your winter adventures dans Paris! Sounds like you had a terrific time and how wonderful you got to experience it with your famile.
Kelly Nelson said…
Wow! Snowy, wintry Paris is beautiful beyond words. I'm enchanted by your stories and pictures. I love that your whole family took this adventure together! (Although, I have to ask: why a trip now, during the school year, for a such a short time?) Whatever the reason -- how special that you experienced the city in a different season. It's truly beautiful.

Finally - I can't get over how everyone has grown up! I know it's been 7 years since I saw you guys... and that's what happens -- they grow up. I just love seeing the pictures of everyone!

Thanks for sharing your adventures!

I know how you felt as you were looking out at Paris your last night... I understand it all too well. I am feeling very whiny because I am not going to France this summer. But somehow I do not get any sympathy since I have already been twice in 2013. It just isn't ever enough, though, is it?
I hope you have a wonderful trip in July!! Can't wait to read all about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Les Femmes Tondues

"Germany Wins on All Fronts" - the Eiffel Tower (Getty Images) It is no great secret that some French collaborated during the Nazi Occupation of France. Some did it for less than admirable reasons, such as political gain, anti-Semitism, or true fascist ideology. Other people were frightened and saw no end to the Occupation, while some were motivated simply by the desire to survive.  Many women who collaborated fall into the latter category. French women and German soldiers enjoying lunch at a café (Unidentified Photo Source) Food, clothes, and fuel (among other items) were scarce during the Occupation. Nearly everything needed to sustain life was rationed, and much of France's food and other  necessary  commodities were shipped to Germany. One way to ensure warmth and a full belly was by making nice with a German soldier.  A French woman chats with a German soldier in front of the Eiffel Tower during the Occupation In a desperate attempt to survive,

A Little Zazou ~ Pour Vous

Sorry Disney fans, but I am not talking about Simba's little feathered hornbill friend in the Lion King (that's spelled Zazu anyway). No, I am talking about the Zazou Jazz Era that began in Interwar Paris and  les zazous  who, in their own way, defied Vichy and the Nazis when they occupied France during the Second World War.  Thanks to my ADD that always manages to kick in when I am supposed to be doing serious research, I stumbled upon the concept of zazou when I was - you guessed it - researching for my Master's thesis on the French Resistance last year.  While I was disappointed that I could not use this newfound knowledge in my thesis, all was not lost. This detour introduced me not only to the fascinating history of les zazous , but some really remarkable Manouche Jazz (a.k.a. Gypsy Swing Jazz) that I knew would some day make a great blog. Lucky you, mes chers , that day is today! What the Heck IS Zazou? Zazou describes a style of jazz as well as a

Sylvia Beach - An American In Paris

This past fall I read Americans in Paris: Life and Death Under Nazi Occupation by Charles Glass. Meticulously researched, the book described the collaboration, resistance, and survival stories of several Americans during the Occupation. Of all the fascinating Americans Glass discussed, I felt an instant connection to one, and have been mildly obsessed with her ever since… Sylvia Beach Photo Source: donswaim.com/ripley-lawrence.htm The Woman Nancy Woodridge Beach was born on March 14, 1887 in Baltimore, Maryland.  She spent much of her childhood and young adult life living throughout Europe. Her first encounter with Paris came at a young age when her father, a pastor, was appointed assistant minister of the American Church in Paris, as well as director of the American student center. As a young adult she spent time in Spain and even served a stint in Serbia in the Red Cross. Although her birth name was Nancy, she would become known to the world as Sylvia Beach.  It was