Skip to main content

Plus de Neige à Paris

We awoke this morning to more snow in Paris! I don't know how Parisians feel about it, but I absolutely love it! 
The Louvre in the Snow (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
We tried to go back to the Mémorial des Déportés, but even though it was supposed to be open, it was not. I was pretty bummed, but at least I will be back in July and can go then.
Inside Notre Dame
Since it was right behind the memorial, we took the kids to Notre Dame. We studied the outside for a little bit then went inside where it was warm. Being Sunday morning, there was a mass going on and the cathedral's air was heavy with incense.
Mass at Notre Dame
The Crèche was still set up on the right side of the cathedral. It is, by far, the most intricate one I have ever seen. It really has no comparison - absolutely beautiful!
The Crèche at Notre Dame
Will and Maddie were "starving" (because a whole hour and a half had passed since breakfast) so we went to a little café. Which is where I realized I had left our Musée d'Orsay tickets in the hotel room. Bill ever so gallantly offered to brave the snow and retrieve said tickets while the kids and I  stayed in the warmth of the café.
Will at the Café
Madison enjoys a chicken sandwich
 Gabrielle sipped on a chocolat chaud (hot chocolate) and she and I split a banana and chocolate crêpe. Ooh la la, très magnifique!
Chocolate & Banana Crêpe...mmmmmmm
 When Bill returned, we hopped on the RER and went to the D'Orsay. This former train station is now a museum that houses Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art.
Inside the Musée d'Orsay (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
We saw many Van Gogh paintings which was the highlight for Will and Maddie. We searched his painting L'Église d'Auvers-sur-Oise to try to find Van Gogh's monster, as well as the dedication to Amy Pond, but to no avail. Will and Maddie were also disappointed not to see the Starry Night with Tardis à la Doctor Who. It is good to know my children's art history comes, not from Bill or me who teach this stuff, but from a sci-fi show about a 940-something year old time lord from Gallifrey. 
We also enjoyed several paintings by Toulouse-Lautrec, Renoir, Degas, Monet, and Manet. I would show you photos of the many amazing paintings and statues in the Musée d'Orsay, but no photos were allowed. So you will either have to look up the paintings at the D'Orsay, or, if you're too lazy to do that, I suppose you could just use your imagination...
We headed back to the hotel, bought some cheese and baguettes and had a little snack/lunch. Everyone took a nap (except moi) to rest up for our bon voyage dinner cruise on the icy Seine. What did I do whilst my family slept? Well, Paris and I needed a little alone time...
I walked down the rue de Lafayette and took lots of photos.
Yarn Shop Window (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
Shoes! (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
Le Metro (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
Paris Je T'aime (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
Opéra Garnier (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
Winter Sucks? Socks? (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
Little Car in the Snow (photo credit: Jennifer Boyer-Switala)
We are going on our dinner cruise in a moment. I won't have time to post any more tonight. We will get back late and must leave early for the airport. I will write and finish my thoughts about the trip soon! Au revoir!
Follow on Bloglovin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Les Femmes Tondues

"Germany Wins on All Fronts" - the Eiffel Tower (Getty Images) It is no great secret that some French collaborated during the Nazi Occupation of France. Some did it for less than admirable reasons, such as political gain, anti-Semitism, or true fascist ideology. Other people were frightened and saw no end to the Occupation, while some were motivated simply by the desire to survive.  Many women who collaborated fall into the latter category. French women and German soldiers enjoying lunch at a café (Unidentified Photo Source) Food, clothes, and fuel (among other items) were scarce during the Occupation. Nearly everything needed to sustain life was rationed, and much of France's food and other  necessary  commodities were shipped to Germany. One way to ensure warmth and a full belly was by making nice with a German soldier.  A French woman chats with a German soldier in front of the Eiffel Tower during the Occupation In a desperate attempt to survive,

A Little Zazou ~ Pour Vous

Sorry Disney fans, but I am not talking about Simba's little feathered hornbill friend in the Lion King (that's spelled Zazu anyway). No, I am talking about the Zazou Jazz Era that began in Interwar Paris and  les zazous  who, in their own way, defied Vichy and the Nazis when they occupied France during the Second World War.  Thanks to my ADD that always manages to kick in when I am supposed to be doing serious research, I stumbled upon the concept of zazou when I was - you guessed it - researching for my Master's thesis on the French Resistance last year.  While I was disappointed that I could not use this newfound knowledge in my thesis, all was not lost. This detour introduced me not only to the fascinating history of les zazous , but some really remarkable Manouche Jazz (a.k.a. Gypsy Swing Jazz) that I knew would some day make a great blog. Lucky you, mes chers , that day is today! What the Heck IS Zazou? Zazou describes a style of jazz as well as a

Sylvia Beach - An American In Paris

This past fall I read Americans in Paris: Life and Death Under Nazi Occupation by Charles Glass. Meticulously researched, the book described the collaboration, resistance, and survival stories of several Americans during the Occupation. Of all the fascinating Americans Glass discussed, I felt an instant connection to one, and have been mildly obsessed with her ever since… Sylvia Beach Photo Source: donswaim.com/ripley-lawrence.htm The Woman Nancy Woodridge Beach was born on March 14, 1887 in Baltimore, Maryland.  She spent much of her childhood and young adult life living throughout Europe. Her first encounter with Paris came at a young age when her father, a pastor, was appointed assistant minister of the American Church in Paris, as well as director of the American student center. As a young adult she spent time in Spain and even served a stint in Serbia in the Red Cross. Although her birth name was Nancy, she would become known to the world as Sylvia Beach.  It was